A Month of Learning and Growth: Highlights and Insights
October has been a month filled with professional development opportunities. The journey of lifelong learning continues to be an exciting one, and I hope you find inspiration in these highlights and insights.
WOBI Conference in Sydney: A Refreshing Experience
The month kicked off with a bang as I attended the WOBI conference in Sydney. I must admit that, over the years, I’ve attended my fair share of conferences and, at times, felt jaded by the constant barrage of sales pitches. However, the WOBI conference in Sydney was a breath of fresh air.
A few speakers stood out:
* Indra Nooyi, who shared her wisdom on executive leadership
* Modupe Akinola, who delved into the world of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI)
* Amy Gallo, the author of “Getting Along,” whose insights were enlightening
* And last but not least, the legendary filmmaker James Cameron, who charmed us with his brilliance
AICD Company Directors Course: Rethinking Strategy
Canberra, the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD) offered a company directors’ course that challenged me to reevaluate how we run strategy days with boards. As someone who loves working with board members and crafting strategies for businesses, this course was a valuable opportunity for growth and learning.
Leadership and Management Themes
Across various professional environments, some key themes consistently rise to the surface. It’s encouraging to see that these themes align with the perspectives of both employees and directors. Here are some of the recurring topics:
- Hybrid Work/Productivity: Adapting to the ever-evolving work landscape and finding ways to maintain productivity in hybrid work models.
- Trust: Building and sustaining trust in the workplace, especially in remote and hybrid work settings.
- Difficult Conversations: Effectively navigating challenging discussions to foster a healthy and open work environment.
- Leadership Through Accountability: Encouraging accountability in the workplace, a crucial element of successful leadership.
Case studies are a key part of our work, and Brigid has kindly offered to write one for this month. Each month we will highlight one of our team and invite them to share knowledge on a popular topic. Over to you Brigid….