Strategy Days – the 8 Key Points
I have run over a dozen strategy days in the last 6 months, and to date, they’ve been hugely successful. So successful in fact, that I am including them as an Aide de MD stand-alone program. The aim is to ensure that the team works together in a comfortable, safe environment where the overall strategy of the business is shared, discussed and understood. It can be easy for the leadership team to agree the long-term plan as they spend sufficient time committed to discussing strategy, but how do you ensure your team understand it too?
There are many management tools to give you guidance, but the trick is to choose a set that works for your business and commit to it.
When arranging a Strategy Day, use the following 8 points as a guide:
1. Agree an agenda
2. Set a date and time, ensure everyone has sufficient notice
3. Employ an effective facilitator, someone who can be prepped to work with the team and encourage participation and commitment
4. Invite everyone to prepare, send clear and concise directions
5. Collaborate – use the exercise as a team building opportunity
6. Set SMART goals and transparent timelines throughout
7. Document the results – and share with the team
8. Review, remind and follow up
As a leader, it is critical that you follow up. A quarterly up-date with the team facilitated internally, and an annual review is crucial to address changes. Business goals can change with market fluctuations, people may have moved on or commenced and re-aligning the team is crucial to ensure compliance and a successful result.
Lead your team successfully, yes, they are worth it!